In the things ain’t changed much category.Historically, witches were convicted based up what was said (auricular evidence) not what was seen (visual evidence)…. hmm. thinkin of Glenn Beck, Rush Limbaugh, Bill O’Reilly, Huckabee, Sara Palin, etc. making claims about Dems, the left, Obama (e.g., the Birthers), which though absolutely false become “legitimate” through being repeated (auricular) in spite of any actual (visual) truth to the matter. Palin’s “death panels” is another one. I.e., it don’t have to be true, it just has to be said enough. “The Big Lie” as wielded by Hitler, Stalin, also. I.e., it don’t have to be true, just to be said long enough, loud enough, from the highest rooftops enough. Bush and friends lies about Iraq wmd’s used to get us into the war…. So, Fox “News” can be compared to the Inquisition. (I knew it felt bad.)Amplify’d from thebrandeishoot.com
Krause probes Renaissance witchcraft
“‘She confessed and was burned’ was a refrain,” Virginia Krause, an associate professor of French at Brown University, said during her lecture yesterday, titled “Under the Witch’s Spell: Demonology in Renaissance France.”
During the lecture, held in the Mandel Center for the Humanities and sponsored by the Mandel Center for the Humanities, the Romance Studies Department, the History of Ideas Program and the Comparative Literature Program, Krause focused on the intangible evidence that many courts required while prosecuting witches.
Her main focus was on Jean Bodin, the 16th-century French author, who wrote treatises advising the French courts to rely on auricular evidence rather than visual, believing that the auricular was more trustworthy than the visual.
Due to this belief, most witches were prosecuted with their own confessions, obtained after torture. Bodin wrote that a confession “must pass from the mouth of the witch to the ears of the judge.”
Krause asked rhetorically, “What sort of truth must pass from the witch’s mouth to the judge’s ears? Secret crimes? Heresy? Witchcraft’s dark crimes—crimes that cannot be seen in the light of day but only whispered in the darkness?”
Krause explained that there was a set formula of speech, almost like a spell, that all judges had to say when sending an accused witch to be tortured for a confession; Krause said, “All the judges said, ‘Considering that your statements are not constant and that there is sufficient proof to warrant this and so that your speech will not offend the judges, you will be subjected to torture …’ on such and such a date.”
There was also a set formula for confessions, which has led historians to wonder what the accused witch actually said and how much of their testimonies have been honestly preserved.
In order to elicit a confession, Bodin suggested different ploys aside from torture. The main ploy was to send a friend of the accused witch to visit them in jail, where they would converse with the accused until nightfall, at which point they would ask to remain in jail overnight in order to continue their discussions. The court would place spies outside the jail cell to write down everything the witches say, the darkness both hiding them and setting the tone for the things being discussed. Once they had the auricular evidence that the accused was a witch, they would get the witch to confess.
The main question that Krause sought to answer during the lecture, however, was why auricular evidence is preferable to visual evidence. Courts tended to discount visual evidence because it was believed that the devil could confuse one’s vision.
The courts believed that the devil could cause visions in women, making them believe that they had the ability to fly. Krause said that “the eyes of these women are blinded” became a mantra during the Renaissance.
Additionally, Krause said, “Knowledge about some things, such as the sacred, could be gained by the senses such as hearing and touch, not vision.” Moses was the only prophet to see God; all the others merely heard Him.
Bodin, who believed that he was a prophet of God, had personal “proof” that the miraculous manifested itself in sound, not sight. He tells his story, paraphrased by Krause, that “during his 37th year, he became aware of a spirit and he had prophetic dreams. He heard something knocking on his door at 2 or 3 a.m., a time of darkness, but he could see nothing. He began to fear that it was some evil spirit.”
Bodin eventually became convinced that the spirit was not evil, but was in fact a sign that Bodin himself was a divine prophet. He claimed that this spirit communicated with him via touch rather than sound or sight. Bodin wrote, “Since then the spirit always accompanied me, giving a perceptive sign by touching me first on the right ear and then on the left ear.” Krause pointed out that it was significant that, although the spirit was not communicating by sound, it was touching Bodin’s ears.
Although Krause spent the majority of her lecture discussing the importance of speech and hearing during witchcraft trials, her respondent, Professor Govind Sreenivasan (HIST), focused on putting the prosecution of witches into a context that would be easier for modern people to understand.
“It can be related to questions of terrorism—there’s a tendency for the gloves to come off,” said Sreenivasan. “The rules have to be different for witchcraft because it is a very different kind of crime.”
Torture was not used in most criminal cases but, like with terrorism today, witchcraft was something that terrified people and caused them to behave drastically.
Apocalypse – No! Book Chapters
- Culture War, Class War – Book 1
- Apocalypse Emergency – Book 3
- Apocalypse No – Book 4
- Ch 1 Strange Days
- Ch 2 “Ain’t Born Typical”
- Ch 3 Perinatal Media
- Ch 4 – 21st Century, Its Discontents
- Ch 5 Birth Wars, World Woes
- Ch 6 Healing Crisis
- Ch 12 Through Gaia’s Eyes
- Ch 8 Derailing War, Violence
- Ch 9 Regressions in the Service of Society
- Ch 10 Cultural Rebirthing, Where Lies Hope
- Ch 11 Control vs. Surrender
- Ch 12 Atman Projects vs. Surrender Solutions
- Ch 13 Peaceful Warriors, Silly Heroes
- Ch 14 To Move the World
- Afterword: Shamans … Scapegoats
- Wounded Deer and Centaurs – Book 5
- Prologue: For Earth’s Sake, Get Real
- Chapter One: We Are a Fever
- Chapter Two: Ain’t Born Typical
- Chapter Three: Projecting the Perinatal Zeitgeist
- Chapter Four: 21st Century and Its Discontents
- Chapter Five: Prenatal Imprints of Our Unnatural Self
- Chapter Six: Prenatal Oxygen Hunger and Fire
- Chapter Seven: Civilization and Apocalypse
- Chapter Eight: Return of the Centaur
- Chapter Nine: Prenatal Hunger Games
- Chapter Ten: “Bad Blood”
- Chapter Eleven: Prenatal Irritation-Revulsion
- Chapter Twelve: Toxic Womb ~ Toxic World
- Chapter Thirteen: Perinatal Printouts of Generations
- Chapter Fourteen: Birth Wars ~ World Woes
- Chapter Fifteen: The Unsung Consciousness Revolution
- Chapter Sixteen: Eden Arise, Call to Centaurs
- The Great Reveal – Book 6
- Experience Is Divinity – Book 7
- Falls from Grace – Book 8
- Culture War, Class War Blog
- APOCALYPSE EMERGENCY: LOVE’S WAKE-UP CALL. by Michael Adzema. Complete book. Free. Downloadable.
- PRENATAL EARTH: Our “Prenatal” Air; Life in Gaia’s Womb; Gaia’s Weeping, Toxic Womb ~ Toxic Earth. Which is chapters 19 through 21 of *Psychology of Apocalypse
- The Descents of Man: Descents to “Civilization” — Control … Human Devolution in Light of the Trauma of Birth; Our Separation from Nature Began When We Stood Up
- On Sanity, Insanity, and Ecopsychology… “The only sane response to an emergency is activism … and the sanest response is heroism.”
- There are lives “when the grand vision is wanted, even if it is more painful”: What does that say about us who have reincarnated on this brink of human extinction?
- Extinction Radio (Activate Media, formerly Occupy Boston Radio) interview of Michael Adzema on extinction, activism, and the cosmic significance of our lives in these times
- “The 1% were one election away, in 2012, from installing a charter member as leader of the Western world: We start by looking at beginnings of this culture war, class war
- “We are fields overlapping, intermixing, potentially expanding, in an instant, to include all of Reality … and to have the experience of ‘God'”: The Nature of Us and God
- Sure It’s Hard and an Insane Society: But the path to bliss leads through despair; egos must be “destroyed” before new worlds can be born
- what defines us as being human. how we became separate from all other Earth Citizens…. in the Eighth Prasad from the Planetmates
- We see "savagery" in Nature, among animals and planetmates, just like we did among indigenous peoples. Who are the… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…@sillymickel 9 minutes ago
- Outside of activist situations & more frequently & commonly, one can work on this & practice it & in this way be bo… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…@sillymickel 36 minutes ago
- That is something I do not want to ever think I helped to happen…. Indeed it is EVIL so huge that I think I would n… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…@sillymickel 1 hour ago
- Rarely have societies experienced this kind of change.What is even more astounding is the way the changes send us s… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…@sillymickel 6 hours ago
- RT @sillymickel: Our Reality Is Species-Determined ... free chapter from *Dance of the Seven Veils: Primal Psychology, Mythology, and Your…@sillymickel 6 hours ago
- RT @mommamia1217: Hey gang! Are you ready for this one? After Russia attacked the 2016 election (actually they haven’t even stopped) yester…@sillymickel 6 hours ago
- RT @sillymickel: *“Girls’ Rites of Passage, Just Put on a Happy Face” … “*the powerful energies of these rituals are hijacked and applied t…@sillymickel 6 hours ago
- RT @MarkWarner: It's increasingly clear that no one in our government knows what happened in that room with Putin. If the President cut som…@sillymickel 6 hours ago
- RT @Wolfe321: A meme for our time. https://t.co/Hq5K5fijfY@sillymickel 6 hours ago
- RT @StevenBeschloss: I really can't get over this one. The face of a traitor and his perfectly pleased master. I wish I was wrong. But the…@sillymickel 6 hours ago
- RT @sillymickel: The Other is us in different garb, manifesting what lies within us behind a wall of repression. Therefore, whatever & whoe…@sillymickel 6 hours ago
- RT @krassenstein: According to Evangelicals it's not OK for Gay people to happily marry each other, but it is OK to cheat on your wife w/ a…@sillymickel 6 hours ago
- RT @sillymickel: how we respond to a situation of decline into fascism in the midst of an overall collapse of the environment which will no…@sillymickel 6 hours ago
- RT @MichelleObama: In my family, voting was a sacred responsibility, one which we never took for granted. I’m excited to be a part of @When…@sillymickel 6 hours ago
- RT @sillymickel: While he tightens the screws on people's ability to complain, attacking the press & removing freedom of speech in all kind…@sillymickel 6 hours ago
- RT @myserenity69: 🌊🌊🌊🌊🌊🌊🌊🌊🌊🌊🌊🌊 MIDTERMS ARE IN 100 DAYS!! #DEMOCRATS VOTE LIKE YOUR LIFE DEPENDS ON IT!!!! BECAUSE IT…@sillymickel 6 hours ago
- RT @MMFlint: I’ve joined Gloria Steinem, Alice Walker, Noam Chomsky, Phil Donahue, Walter Mosley and others in signing an open letter calli…@sillymickel 7 hours ago
- RT @Dfreecity: @DesignationSix @Mastermind7864 https://t.co/rLF65R0cTj@sillymickel 7 hours ago
- RT @sillymickel: We need to keep in mind, and we will see this in much more detail in the next Veil coming — which is that of the primal sc…@sillymickel 7 hours ago
- RT @johnlundin: 'The entire Republican Party has become a Russian asset' - Washington Post Opinion go.shr.lc/2uCv1jP #TrumpRussia@sillymickel 7 hours ago
- 77,176 hits